Saturday, March 3, 2007

The View Never Changes

My new bike is on the way. Fast Freddy says that it will be like adding another 200 hp to my car (of course he doesn't realize my car only has 100 hp to start with). I sure hope he's right because if todays ride is any indication, I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

This was the first club ride of the year, and my first real road ride for the year-30 miles, lots of hills. I took the EZ-1. Here is the view I saw on most of the hills. Well the uphills anyway.

In addition to just being totally under prepared for this much ride, I think that the other biggest problem was the forecast of 38 degrees with rain. The sane people stayed home. Luckily the rain held off until were back in town.

Early in the ride I was totally discouraged and disgusted. As the day went on, I realized that I was holding on fairly well on the steeper climbs (like the one ahead here)-not really any different than I would have expected on the Rambouillet this early in the season. Where I was really dragging was on the gentler grades. On the flat or downhills I was well toward the front.

I'm still discouraged, but realize:

1. I would have been perfectly happy with my riding if I were alone, or with more compatible riders. I didn't feel the least bit slow except when I saw the pack pulling away from me. I do hate being the slowest person on the ride.

2. I did fairly well with the one thing I'd been working on this winter-steep hills. I dropped back on these, but always have with this group regardless of the bike I'm on. The problem came in when there was a long run up to the hill, like in the photo where I was already well off the back before it got steep.

3. I was not hoovering. I even felt pretty good at the top of the mile long 12 percent grade. I think I was only badly winded one time and was pushing fairly hard on that hill (the one in the picture). It was my legs not my lungs that were limiting my speed on the slight up grades. I hope that concentrating on that type of situation will make a difference. I think this might be indicative of what some people say about climbing on recumbents, that you can't bring in your upper body like on an upright (using more muscles). You aerobic fitness is the real limit though, and it's easier to build up leg muscles than aerobic level.

4. I really have very few miles on this year. I've been riding the steep hills around my neighborhood, but not much distance (because of the weather).

5. I suppose the new bike might help. Most people say that it will make a big difference. I hope they're right.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume the new bike is a TE or GRR, right? I think you will notice quite a difference. I only have about 1K miles on my TE so take the advice any of my comments for what they're worth. I have found Freddy's advice to be invaluable. I guess that he has enough miles and input into the bike that he has learned a thing or two. :-)

In particular to climbing and sprinting, I have found position #3 [LINK] to help my riding and climbing quite a bit. It takes strong abdominal muscles (which I don't have) so I alternate power position in a bit higher gear with sitting back and spinning. I do OK. Like you say, it's not like you will be faster than you were on your F but I think you will get pretty close to that level in time.

I do have to say though that it takes more effort and puts some stress on your knees and lower back, so be careful and don't overdo it.

Mark Crabtree said...

Yes, a Gold Rush. I still can't quite believe I ordered it. I didn't pay much more for my last car.

I stumbled onto something like a milder version of the lean forward position you linked to while working on the steep hills around my neighborhood this winter. At first I thought it was just preventing dumping your energy into flexing the seat (on my Burley-the Cobra on the EZ-1 does not flex), but it does seem to help put something extra into the pedals- upper body, lower back, something.

I do pace myself pretty well. My legs were thoroughly used up after this ride, but I had absolutely no knee or back strain, and of course no wrist pain (the main reason I ride the recumbent).

Freddy gave me a few other climbing tips that I'll post soon. Nothing earth shaking, but every little bit helps.

Anonymous said...

Freddy gave me a few other climbing tips that I'll post soon.

Yes, please post them. I find that in order for the lean forward power position to work, the seat back cannot be too reclined or too far back from the pedals. Freddy has recommendations about how to set that up on the ER forum as well and I am sure you've probably seen them. He really knows his stuff. Anyway, congrats on the GRR. I look forward to pics and comments.