Sunday, March 25, 2007

Quality Glass Company; Van Voorhis, W. Va.

"Manufacturers of Illuminating Glass" according to the old (1970's?) catalog laying open on the floor of one of the beautifully decrepit old buildings. "Hand blown by highly skilled union craftsmen." More pictures at my documentary blog Booger Hole.

This old glass operation sits immediately beside the old railroad right-of-way, now the Mon River Trail. The trail follows the Monongahela River from Pricketts Fort to the old community of Van Voorhis, W. Va. Work just started that should complete the trail to the Pennsylvania state line by June.

I took the steep climb out on the "main" road. I passed the Mount Union United Methodist Church dated 1883 (an earlier building maybe?), then completed a nice loop that included a long stiff climb I'd only done in the downhill direction. Now I realize why it feels like you are in free fall coming down that hill. This was the first time I've needed to use the lowest gear on the Gold Rush for any length of time on one of my road rides. The 28T granny was perfect today.

No comments: