Saturday, March 3, 2007

Deckers Creek Trail Ride-Video from the LX2

Link to my video here. It is a 9 MB Quicktime movie. I'll work on making the thumbnail at left into a link to the video tomorrow.

There are a bunch of great videos on the web shot by recumbent riders. The Recumbent Blog videos are some of the best. When it was cold and icy out my window this winter I could watch one of Alan's videos and imagine the better views to come.

The Recumbent Blog also led me to this YouTube "community" of recumbent videos.

The angles these guys get seem amazing to me. I've shot photos from my bikes for a number of years (here's one from 2003 of the Deckers Creek trail later in spring when it has greened up a little-shot from the VRex I think). I thought it would be fun to give video a try.

My new Panasonic DMC-LX2 has a 16:9 widescreen mode that I think is great for bicycling. I haven't managed to get iMovie to accept it without letterboxing the format yet, but know it is possible.

This was not our first run up Decker's Creek Trail this year; we had freakishly warm weather the first week of January. But this was the first ride since the thaw. I had tried Saturday a week ago, but the ice patches were just too much excitement.

The trail was in surprisingly good shape, but the freeze/thaw action had left some soft spots that would catch you by surprise. A couple of those ended up in the clip. It looks like I was reaching for the bar with my camera hand on one of those. Maybe I'm not cut out for this.

No comments: